Mom...you are so old fashioned!

A few weeks back Madison and I started shopping for school clothes. And let me tell you this was no easy task. It was one battle after another of opinions of what would make cute school clothes, obviously we have different fashion views.

So the story begins like this.... Madison wanted to go to her favorite store at the mall, Limited Too, which I knew was going to be her first pick. Now let me start by saying I consider myself to be a pretty hip and cool mom. We get there and as soon as we walk in the store there is this 80's Dance Fever looking outfit on a mannequin and Madison immediately points to the outfit and says "momma, that's is sooo cool". My reply "Madison, that is so hideous, it looks like something from the eighties". Madison replies back "mom....you are so old fashioned". Of course my inner self was thinking how could this be happening. I figured I had a few more years before that was said. Oh well, I guess I'm not as hip and cool as I thought I was.

What do you do when your child wants a different style of clothing than you prefer her to wear? Obviously, if it was something way way out there I would just flat say no but this was really just a fashion preference, besides I am paying for the clothes....right. I do want her to have her own sense of character in what she wears I just don't want her to go to school looking ridiculous. Ya know. After trying on many many many outfits of my liking but that she just totally disliked, I finally gave in and told her she could have that one outfit if she did not complain about the ones I picked out. You know what, she agreed to it. I could not believe it. So that's our new rule, she is allowed one outfit of her choosing (within reason of course) then the rest I get to choose without any complaints.

Just a small description of what the attire consisted of...long tunic with black and bright blue horizontal strips and a three tier ruffle at the bottom, black leggings and a 3 inch wide silver sequin stretch belt. All she needs now is a pair of leg warmers and and perm in her hair with a ponytail on the side. LOL

0 thoughtful note(s):