One Step Forward Two Steps Back


Tonight was Makaylee's Pre-K orientation. The evening did not turn out as expected. All summer I have pumped this little girl up about starting school. At the beginning when I started all this pumping up her terms were she would go to school if I bought her a new backpack and a new pair of shoes. Not that that surprised me very much coming from her I quickly agreed to her terms and indeed meet her terms over the summer with a new backpack and shoes. I continued to boost her enthusiasm on just about a daily basis regarding school. Over the past couple of weeks she has received some letters from her teacher talking about what is going to take place during class. This seemed to boost her enthusiasm even more. Tonight was orientation and she was super super excited. I mean really super excited. In fact, we had to leave the house 15 minutes early because she didn't want to wait around the house, she was ready to go. We get to the church where she is attending Pre-K and we go ahead and go in thinking I would let her tour around a little. We find her class room, meet her teacher Mrs. Susan, sit down at a table, put six piece puzzle together and then she lowers the boom. "Mom, I wanna go him....I not stay at school". What??? What just happened in the last three minutes that I'm not aware of. I'm thinking reality might have set in. I kept trying to assure her that she was going to have fun and to go mingle with the other frightened children that were there. But no she wanted no part of it. You can only imagine what happened when they asked the parents to go to the sanctuary for the parent meeting and the kids to stay in the classroom with their teachers. Makaylee grabs my shirt and has the death grip on it begging me not to go. You've got to be kidding me. She doesn't do this during sunday school. I proceed to leave her crying in the arms of her new teacher and am devastated at the outcome of the evening. I return to her class to find her happy and with a huge smile on her face as she runs to me showing me the picture she had drew and colored for me while I was gone. We step out into the hall for refreshments and I proceed to pump her up about coming back at this awesome place. I was informed I would not be able to bring her into class on the first day, they want the kids dropped off at the front door with their teacher. Geez, can't wait for that day to come. Who wants to make bets on who will cry more....mom or child? After I pulled into the garage at home I looked back at Makaylee and asked if she was ready to go back to school in a couple of weeks......."Nay", she says. All I can say is that teacher better have some good tricks up her sleeve to keep this little girl in her class.

0 thoughtful note(s):